Monday, January 20, 2014

Federal holidays

Today’s observance of Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday, reminded me that Federal holidays are an annoying inconvenience once you’re retired.

They represent an interruption in mail and banking services. Fortunately, recent weather-related school closures have caused some of the area schools to use MLK Day as a snow makeup day, so Maria is able to continue her fun work as a substitute teacher.

I say fun work because she seems to enjoy it more than any job she’s had since I’ve known her. She comes home every day with charming and funny anecdotes about the kids she encounters.

The only downside is that she gets exposed to cold germs. Fortunately, she has not passed any cold or flu bugs to me.

I was going through some photos on my hard drive this morning and came across this reminder of how much I hate Indiana winters and don’t care to experience another.

subaru in snow

No comments: