Wednesday, January 08, 2014

A tale of two tailless dogs

dora spayed

I brought Dora home from the Animal Medical Center about 10:30 a.m., some 25 hours after I dropped her off to be spayed.

When Dr. Heather Curry brought her into the waiting room, I expected an excited greeting. Instead, she acted like she didn’t know me. Aussies are well known for their range of emotional responses and this felt like a deliberate snub, as if to say, “Thanks a lot for putting me through hell, asshole!”

It wasn’t until we were halfway home that she started looking me in the eye and acknowledging that there might be some familial or emotional connection between us. (You can see how she looked away in this photo taken in the car outside the vet’s office.) She perked up even more once we got into the house and I gave her some food in her kennel.

liese charlieWe have some antibiotic and pain pills for her with instructions to bring her back to the vet in 10 days for a checkup. In the meantime, she’s not supposed to run, jump, or otherwise put a strain on her incision. That means isolate her from Jack and Liese.

Keeping her away from Liese got easier this afternoon when Charlie and Deb showed up to claim their suddenly ecstatic Weimaraner. Charlie is home after extensive medical abuse in Little Rock and needs Liese’s companionship to help him heal and regain his strength.

He looks pretty chipper for all he’s gone through in the past few months, but he conceded this afternoon and Daytona Beach Bike Week is off the table for this year.

I may go anyway if it turns out that Indianapolis BMW friends will be there. Otherwise, I’ll skip it too.

No comments: