Friday, February 06, 2009

Why I hate being a landlord (continued)

I'm back on the Hastings Wifi link, pondering what to say to my renter in response to this email he sent this morning:

To let you know I have sent out the rent. I’m shipping $550 to you now. The remainder will come to you around next Friday. I’m sorry I made a big mistake in my checking account. Again I apologize for the mistake. Thanks Again

Just for the record, the rental agreement requires that he pay $1,000 a month, due on the first of the month. If any part of the rent is unpaid after the 5th of the month, he owes an additional $125 in late penalty fees.

Under the terms of the lease, they are now in default and we are within our rights to have them evicted. I'm not eager to throw a couple with four daughters and a golden retriever out into the cold of an Indiana winter, but neither am I eager to let deadbeats jeopardize my credit rating by making me late on a mortgage payment.

No comments: