Monday, June 02, 2008

Complications

The hood latch on my del Sol has been increasingly stiff over the last 4 years or so.
The most recent struggle began last Friday when I ran out of windshield washer fluid. I bought a gallon of solvent at an auto parts store and popped the hood to fill the reservoir.
I lifted the hood about 2 inches, found the hatch and pushed on it - hard. It wouldn't budge.
Over the last couple of days, I shot WD-40 into and around the latch mechanism in a vain attempt to free it.
So I called the local Honda dealer first thing this morning and made an 11 o'clock appointment for an oil change and lube,telling the service manager I couldn't open the hood. He seemed confident it was no problem.
I'd been sitting in the service department for 15 minutes when a woman from the service department scurried up and announced,"Sir, they cain't git your hood open to change your awl."
"Yeah, I told them I couldn't get it open."
Some confusion ensued and I ended the discussion with, "Hey, if it takes a new hood latch mechanism, do it."
So here I sit, awaiting further news from the mechanics.
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Later: They got the latch open, lubed it to a point where they are confident it will work right, did the awl change and lube, replaced the wiper blades and tracked down an awl leak that stems from a seeping awl pan gasket. Since they didn't have a replacement gasket in stock and since replacing it would mean dumping all of the new motor awl they just put into the engine, we decided I should phone them a few days in advance of my next awl change to order the gasket and do the whole thing in one shot.
Considering the time spent on the latch and diagnostics, I was pleasantly surprised that the bill was only $78 and change.
I thought I'd never find another Honda service department as friendly and honest as the one in Lafayette, Ind., but it looks like I have.

No comments: