Tuesday, September 08, 2020

I can see for miles. And years.


 Among the treasures my first father-in-law brought home from WWII was a pair of Leitz 15x60 Campofortit binoculars - the biggest, most powerful that E. Leitz of Wetzlar ever made.

I inherited them and they spent the last few decades packed away in closets and boxes. I considered them too valuable and too powerful for day-to-day use and the optics, which were state-of-the-art at the time of their manufacture, have become hazy.

I had the good fortune to discover Suddarth Optical Repair in Henryetta, Okla. a couple of years ago and am in awe of the ability of Cory Suddarth and his son Eric to restore and refurbish old and abused binoculars at what I consider a very reasonable price.

I decided to have my binos restored and, happily, Maria agreed so I packed them carefully, insured them heavily and sent them off to Suddarths' shop.

I'm eager to see how they stack up against my Steiner 7x50 Navigator Pro binos once they're cleaned and restored.


No comments: