Monday, May 11, 2020

Hostage situation grumbling

I feel like I'm being held hostage by the pandemic and the weather and neither is getting better fast enough.

Because I'm pushing 75 and therefore in a high risk group for Covid-19, I have severely curtailed my travels away from home. That got even more restrictive last week when our 2002 Subaru Forester's transmission informed me that I would be lucky to get a block from home before it failed completely. The car has more than 250,000 miles on the odometer and isn't worth the estimated $2,500 it would probably cost to fix the transmission. So it sits deep in the driveway while we decide how to best dispose of it - sell it for scrap or donate it to some charity.

For the last several weeks, I've just used it to go to the post office to check our box. It's only about a 1 mile hike round trip, but this is turning out to be the coldest, most persistently crappy spring I can remember and not the kind of weather that makes me want to go for a longish walk.

Which brings me to my other complaint. The weather has been cold, rainy, and windy more days than not which dampens my enthusiasm for metal detecting in our yard. I know there's still lots of targets out there, but I need sunny calm days in the upper 60s and above to feel comfortable poking around with my Garrett ACE 300 metal detector. So I gaze out the window and curse the weather and the lack of encouragement in the forecast.

And today was especially aggravating because our electrical power failed at 1:41 a.m. and wasn't restored until 9:01 a.m., meaning my morning coffee was postponed and Maria and I had to do our early morning routines in the cold and dark.

No comments: