Wednesday, January 10, 2018


Sitting here at my desk, listening to music on my fabulous Bang & Olufsen H9 headphones when a song from the first Jefferson Airplane album comes up in the random rotation.

And I am suddenly transported back to February, 1967 in my first apartment - Apt. 1A, 3360 Meadows Court - in Indianapolis. I had just started my career with The Indianapolis News at the tender age of 21.

Ahh, if I had only known what I know now. I can't recall those early days at The News without cringing over how naive I was.

The B&O headphones reveal details in the music that were hidden by the limitations of vinyl records and my rudimentary RCA console stereo - the only good thing to come out of my soul-numbing time as a drone in an RCA cabinet factory in Monticello, Ind.

I was newly engaged and living in rudimentary bachelor squalor. My 1965 VW beetle was parked in snow at the curb in front of the apartment building.

1 comment:

Edmon B. said...

This takes me back! Great post!