Thursday, September 15, 2016

An expensive trip to Cape Girardeau


This is me spending most of yesterday waiting at Grass Roots BMW Motorcycles in Cape Girardeau, Mo.

I rode up there (a little less than 150 miles) to get a fully functional starter relay installed in my 2003 K1200GT, replacing the jury-rigged relay setup they gave me in the spring. Since I'd already paid for the previous relay, this was to be a free visit.

But then I noticed that my clutch was slipping. I thought I'd felt it the day before, but it was really obvious when I got off of I-55 at Cape Girardeau. I hoped it was just a cable adjustment, but I was soon disabused of that notion. The most likely scenario is a leaking seal that lets oil get into the clutch mechanism - something that will require a complete teardown of the clutch. That's a process that will involve an estimated 12 hours of labor, plus parts.

Happily, a BMW rider from Jonesboro was on hand to see the antique motorcycles arriving for a stopover in this year's Motorcycle Cannonball Run. And, more happily, he was on four wheels and cheerfully offered me a ride home. So all I had to do was endure a few hours of ennui at the dealership. He dropped me off at my door about 7:15 p.m., which was considerably earlier than I would have gotten home if Maria had to retrieve me after she got off work.

And it turns out that I left my hi-viz CamelBak at the dealership, which I confirmed this morning and will be waiting for me whenever I claim my repaired bike.

I hate the expense, but at least the problem cropped up at the dealership and not out on some remote stretch of highway.

No comments: