Friday, September 22, 2006

Climbing the learning curve


We've had the Nikon D200 for a few months now, just getting used to it and exploring the features but it wasn't until this afternoon that I got around to checking out some of the elements of the Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS). The SB-800 speedlights we've been using for a couple of years are CLS-capable, but the D100s we were using were not, so it wasn't until the D200 showed up that it became an issue.
We shot photos for a furniture store ad earlier this week in which I tried to get the SB-800s to act as remote/slave flashes without success.
I downloaded a primer on the subject from the internet this afternoon, read and re-read the pertinent passages in the flash and camera manuals and discovered that I needed to change a camera setting so it would tell the flash what to do. The results were encouraging and I convinced Pete the Aussie to sit for a few portrait shots, one of which is posted here.
Maria just called to say she's on her way home. We have to be at a wedding rehearsal in a couple of hours and tomorrow will shoot our third wedding in three weeks.
Fortunately, we have nothing booked for next weekend, but the weekend after that is yet another wedding. If we're not careful, this could turn into a real business.

3 comments:

Totsie said...

Pete is terribly cute.

When the time comes for me to finally invest in a very good camera that I can grow with, expect an e-mail.

The Oracle said...

I'll be delighted to help.

pixielyn said...

VERY cute pix of your dog Pete.
Nice lighting too. I am camera envious. I'm clueless when it comes to photography and I think its GREAT that your business has taken off like this, its really wonderful!!!