Monday, August 08, 2005

Not my Friends


My stepdaughter is obsessed with "Friends."
She owns all of the available full-season DVDs and has the show going pretty much non-stop in her room during her waking hours. Her idea of an evening activity is to persuade her mother to watch an episode or two with her after dinner.
She has today off, so the laugh track of Friends is constantly on the edges of my awareness. I can screen out the dialog, but the laugh track persists like a rock in my shoe.
I watched a few episodes of the show years ago, just to humor her and my wife. It's breezy and clever, but it doesn't appeal to me. The idea of a bunch of bumbling kids learning lessons I learned 40 years ago wears thin very quickly.
On balance, I'm pretty much done with the traditional sitcom and I find a laugh track insulting as hell. I don't need an auditory cue to know when something is funny and, if you pay attention, you'll notice the laugh track thinks everything is funny.
No, these kids are not my friends and they're not even remotely interesting to me.

1 comment:

Totsie said...

You'll have to turn to a Brit-com like "As Time Goes By" for laughs that come only from you.

ps - I still hope you will rent "Still Crazy" sometime soon and give me a review.:)