Thursday, August 26, 2004

Thank you, NPR

This is an open letter to the programming geniuses at National Public Radio who decided to kick Bob Edwards off of the Morning Edition program he has hosted since it began nearly 25 years ago.
Thank you.
You have made my flight from NPR immeasurably easier and more pleasant.
You see, I have been an NPR listener most of my adult life. Passengers in my car would put up howls of protest when I insisted on learning something from my radio rather than being “entertained” by music I don’t like and harassed by hours of commercial messages.
Earlier this summer, I became an XM Satellite Radio listener, even though they had little or no programming of the type carried by NPR. That was the one shortcoming that kept me sneaking back to my local NPR stations.
The programmers at XM must have noticed this deficit as well, because they recently announced the Sept. 1 launch of XM Public Radio – a channel with much of the same programming carried by NPR.
Like, for instance:
From PRI:
• American Routes
• Mountain Stage
• Riverwalk Jazz
• Sounds Eclectic
• PRI's Studio 360
• This American Life
From American Public Media Programming:
• American RadioWorks
• As It Happens
• The Writer's Almanac
From WBUR:
• The Connection
• Here and Now
• On Point
• Only a Game
And the crown jewel in their lineup, starting Oct. 4, The Bob Edwards Show every weekday morning. Thanks to your shabby treatment, Bob Edwards has a far more promising future in public broadcasting than the arrogant fools who canned him.
Now XM has everything I want in a radio experience – a nearly infinite variety of commercial-free music and all the best of NPR without those excruciatingly tedious local fund-raising campaigns.
Thank you, NPR.

No comments: