Wednesday, October 06, 2021

Hearing aids in my future?

We've had extended family here for a couple of  weekend events in the past month and I've had a hard time maintaining a good attitude.

The problem appears to be my hearing. I find it impossible to discern human speech when several people are talking and end up feeling ignored and isolated. And cranky and irritable.

Part of it stems from the fact that I was an only child and grew up in a home where one took turns talking - no talking over someone else. I always felt that was rude and inconsiderate.

Unfortunately, my wife's family does not observe the same conversational rules.

I've suffered for years in bars, restaurants and other noisy venues where I find it impossible to carry on a conversation.

The recent noisy visits got me thinking about a conversation I had with a couple of hearing-aid-wearing friends some years ago who told me their hearing aids cured that problem for them. They also said hearing aids helped their tinnitus - a condition I've had for as long as I can remember.

Maria and I visited a senior citizens expo last weekend for a story and photos of the event. In the process, we asked about hearing aid screening and were told that Costco has $6,000 hearing aids for about $1,400. My stepdaughter and her husband live in Evansville and are Costco members there. They have been urging us to join here, but the nearest Costco to us is about 40 south on the northside of Indianapolis.

We decided the potential savings on hearing aids justified the membership fee, so we drove down and signed up for an Executive Membership on Sunday.

I returned to the store yesterday and made an appointment for screening by an audiologist. They're booked for a couple of months, so I'm scheduled for Dec. 20.

I'm guardedly optimistic that they can help me.

No comments: