Thursday, September 03, 2020

Steiner binoculars at last!


 I've lusted after Steiner binoculars for years, but always considered them out of my financial league.

Then my wife turned me onto the Amazon Warehouse offerings and I found a pair of Navigator Pro 7x50 binos, "renewed", at a considerable saving. I pulled the trigger and Amazon delivered them Sunday afternoon. They looked, felt and smelled (the rubber armor smells a little like a new tire) like brand new - no hint of previous use or even unpacking.

I've been collecting/accumulating binoculars and monoculars and spotting scopes for year and these binos are easily optically superior to anything else I've ever used. They're a little on the heavy side for everyday use, but the clarity, coupled with the fact that the 7x50 format is the ideal combination of light gathering objective lens and magnification that enables prolonged use without vibration makes them better than anything else I've used.

My only regret is that our house is surrounded by trees. I haven't lived anywhere with a decent view since I sold my lakefront condo in Indianapolis 20 years ago.

Anyhow, I love these things and look forward to traveling with them.

No comments: