Thursday, December 21, 2017

Do you really listen to music?


I'm convinced that a lot of people - maybe most people - don't know how to listen - really listen - to music.

As long as I can remember, I have been captivated by music and its complexity. My favorite thing is to become totally immersed in my music with eyes closed, sitting in a comfortable chair and with a really good set of headphones. My current headphones of choice are Bang & Olufsen - either the H8 on-ear model or the H9 over-the-ear 'phones. They continue to reveal to me hitherto unnoticed musical and instrumental gems that are an absolute delight and make a piece of music brand new all over again.

I have a couple of really good speaker systems, but I much prefer the intimacy and isolation of headphones. Speakers seem to invite interruptions and make details more obscure.

I know people, particularly young people, who don't seem to connect with their music. They talk over it, socialize over it, use it as background noise and apparently never give it their undivided attention. This seems horribly self-absorbed to me and I can't understand it. But then a lot of what they listen to is (c)rap, so it's not really music anyway.

No comments: