Thursday, February 23, 2017

Yes, I'm from THAT Delphi


I was raised in Delphi, Ind., where I enjoyed a safe, idyllic childhood.

There was only minor crime and I can't recall a single murder in the 18 years I lived there with my parents before going off to college.

And whenever someone asks me where I'm from, I'm used to getting blank stares when I tell them. I usually end up saying it's in north central Indiana about 18 miles east of Lafayette-West Lafayette - you know, where Purdue University is.

That ended abruptly last week when two young girls were murdered just outside Delphi on a walking trail near Deer Creek. It immediately became national news and now, in the mind of most Americans who have been paying attention, Delphi is forever linked with this senseless double homicide and the search for the killer.

And that will attach to all of us who grew up in the Carroll County seat, wherever we go and whenever we are introduced as being from Delphi.

It's a helluva reason for a town to be famous.

No comments: