Monday, July 25, 2016

Schadenfreude


I was a young reporter at The Indianapolis News in the summer of 1968.

I was a liberal, I was against the war in Vietnam and I believed Lyndon Johnson was an evil man and should be replaced by Sen. Eugene McCarthy.

So I was horrified and sickened by what was later termed a "police riot" at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago.

The sleazy machine politics that resulted in the nomination of Hubert Humphrey fractured the party profoundly and led to the election of Richard Nixon. Twice.

I've grown up since then and am watching history repeat itself as another generation's youth movement tears the party apart.

This time, I'm enjoying the show because I suspect it will mean the end of Democrat control of Washington. And maybe the destruction of the Clinton Crime Family.

No comments: