Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Servicing the GT

grassrootsjuly2

Eeeeek! A naked bike!

I’m at Grass Roots BMW Motorcycles in Cape Girardeau for service on my ‘03 K1200GT in anticipation of a ride of a few thousand miles later this month.

I left home at 6:03 a.m., stopped for a leisurely breakfast at the McDonald’s at Exit 80 on I-55, and rolled in to the Grass Roots parking lot at 9:05 a.m. I’m having them install a Gerbings heated clothing wiring harness, connected directly to the battery, so as to avoid a repeat of the blown fuse I experienced earlier this year when I set out for Daytona Beach Bike Week.

Austin and Megan are en route to Arkansas from Indianapolis this morning and I expect to be home in time to welcome them. If not, Maria is there and she can let them in.

The 150-mile ride up here was uneventful and the temperature remained in the mid-60s all the way. I started out under a cloudless sky, staring into the rising sun from Paragould to I-55 at Hayti, but found myself under thick clouds after less than 10 miles of interstate. It got a little chilly and I even turned on the heated handgrips for awhile.

The zipper has broken – ripped away from the fabric – on my First Gear Kathmandu pants which is annoying but not critical. The pants have a rain gusset at the fly and a velcro closure, so the pants are still serviceable.

No comments: