Thursday, October 06, 2011

Steve and me

I got my first Apple product – an iPod – on my 60th birthday. It was a gift from my sons and my wife.

I wouldn’t have bought it for myself because, like so many people’s first experience with Apple products, I didn’t know I wanted it until I got my hands on it.

It changed the way I experience music. Instead of taking stacks of CDs on vacations to play in the Subaru’s six-CD changer, I now take an iPod with my entire music collection and an accessory cord that lets me play the content on the car stereo.

I had a 100-CD capacity player that suddenly became obsolete. I’ve sold almost all of my massive CD collection and am slowly digitizing my vinyl music collection for inclusion on my iPod.

I’ve used Mac computers, but I still prefer the Windows user interface. Even so, I’m mindful that the pioneering efforts of Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak were essential to the development and success of the personal computer.

Steve Jobs made a difference in my life and I suspect his influence on our lives will be felt for many years to come.

Thanks, Steve. I know you were just doing what made you happy, but thanks anyway. It made us happy too.

No comments: