Sunday, March 13, 2011

Weekend report

It’s been another low-key weekend.

I took the K75S out for a spin in the sunshine yesterday morning – just a little jaunt down to the post office and a roundabout way home via Goobertown that ended up as a 14-mile ride.

I was going to do more riding in the afternoon, but Maria had an attack of cabin fever, so I changed into street clothes and we drove in to town for lunch at the new Chipotle Mexican restaurant, a visit to Hancock’s for fabric and then down to the Parker Road Walmart to pick up some prescriptions.

Chipotle is not the build-your-own burrito chain of that name in Indiana. It’s a real sit-down restaurant and the first Mexican restaurant in this dry county to get an alcoholic beverage club permit. The ambiance is nice, but the food is overpriced and just so-so on flavor. I have no desire to go back. If I want a beer or a Margarita with my Mexican food, I’ll drive up to Paragould where the dining is less pretentious and the food actually has some zip to it.

I fired a few test rounds with our new Mossberg 20 gauge shotgun, blasting birdshot into the huge fallen tree in our back yard. The neighbors didn’t seem all that concerned – our neighbors across the cul-de-sac routinely shoot clay pigeons in their back yard – but Pete freaked out.

The first shot sent him hauling ass into the house where he cowered in his kennel until the shooting was over. Pete hates thunder, fireworks and gunfire. He’ll never be a hunting dog, but then who wants to try to teach a herding dog to hunt?

About 6:45 p.m., we made a spur-of-the-moment decision to drive back to town to see Rango. It was a good choice. I’ll say no more, other than to recommend it.

Thanks to the time change, we didn’t get out of bed until about 10 a.m. We had a late breakfast at noon at IHOP, then loaded up on groceries at Sam’s Club.

Maria worked on a special quilt this afternoon and I hung out and surfed the Internet, which brings us up to the present. Maria’s cooking something for dinner that involves a lot of garlic. If I close my eyes, I can pretend I’m in Gilroy, Calif.

No comments: